In honor of my enlighten experience of hearing the Dali Lama speak in person at the Forum in Los Angeles, CA I put together my Top 10 Favorite Dali Lama quotes. These are in no specific order:
1. With realization of one’s own potential and self-confidence in one’s ability, one can build a better world.
2. When you think everything is someone else’s fault, you will suffer a lot. When you realize that everything springs only from yourself, you will learn both peace and joy.
3. Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.
4. If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.
5. We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.
6. If you don’t love yourself, you cannot love others. You will not be able to love others. If you have no compassion for yourself then you are not able of developing compassion for others.
7. Human potential is the same for all. Your feeling, “I am of no value”, is wrong. Absolutely wrong. You are deceiving yourself. We all have the power of thought – so what are you lacking? If you have willpower, then you can change anything. It is usually said that you are your own master.
8. To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.
9. There is a saying in Tibetan, “Tragedy should be utilized as a source of strength.”No matter what sort of difficulties, how painful experience is, if we lose our hope, that’s our real disaster.
10. A spoon cannot taste of the food it carries. Likewise, a foolish man cannot understand the wise man´s wisdom even if he associates with a sage.
What are some of your favorite quotes? I will compile a complete list for everyone to share.